Green Grotto Caves
The Green Grotto caves, also known as the Runaway Caves, are located just under 2 miles from the spot at which Christopher Columbus landed in 1494. The caves were a haven for runaway slaves in the 18th century and between the two World Wars, were used by smugglers running arms to Cuba. The Grotto Caves were sought after as a hideout by the Spanish during the takeover of the island by the English in 1655. The Green Grotto caves feature a series of interconnected passageways and chambers, light holes, stalactites and stalagmites, as well as two lakes.